Thursday 11 February 2016

Leaving the Atlas Mountains

Day 4: Tizi-N-Test – Tahanaoute
Time: 5:10:32
Distance: 108.12km
Average Speed: 20.8km/h

Today had a lot more climbing than expected but on balance I was probably going downhill more. The roads were pretty bad all day and I was constantly avoiding potholes. The descending began from the summit of Tizi-N-Test. It was freezing for the first few kilometres so I inally made use of a lot of equipment (gloves, jackets...) that has been idle so far. Again, the views were stunning almost all of the way.

My target for today was Asni, a town that I didn't know much about but at 55km from Marrakech it seemed like a good place to stop. About 10km out from Asni I stopped in Mustafa's (yesterday's hotel owner) brother's restaurant. As I was about to leave I asked the waiter how far to Asni. He said 10km. I asked "All downhill?" and pointed downwards. "Yes, all downhill". The next 10km were all uphill. Since I expected an easy descent I didn't buy any extra water and the climb was a struggle.

When I arrived in Asni there were no obvious places to stay. A local gestured me to do in the direction of where he said there was a hotel but 1 after 1 minute following him I decided to get out of the place. Asni is by far the worst place I've passed through so far so I cycled onward to the next town of Tahanaoute. Options for places to stay are limited in Tahanaoute but I found a place that's central enough and on the road for Marrakech tomorrow.








No comments:

Post a Comment